Wednesday, August 31, 2011

RIP hand mixer


Sad news sports fans -- the Big Lots Mixer has mixed its last batter. I'll spare you the gruesome details about how it spent its last moments on earth, but there was smoke and a lot of high pitched screaming (from me and the mixer). An eventual autopsy confirmed that the cause of death was a broken gear. It lived a long and fulfilling life and brought enjoyment to all who tasted its work. It will truly be missed.

Down a mixer, I was limited in my dessert making abilities. But I wasn't going to let this stop me from making a summer treat. In fact, I had the perfect backup. A few months ago, in a moment of genius (or Sudafed-induced hoarding) I found these awesome popsicle molds while I was waiting in line to get a prescription filled. I had an awful sinus infection and the only thing I wanted to eat was icecream and icey-juicys. In my delirium, I imagined myself making delicious homemade popsicles in my favorite flavors to ease my soar throat. In actuality, I spent several days on the couch sleeping, waking up to watch the Real Housewives of New Jersey, and whimpering. 


The popsicle molds sat on my shelf all summer, waiting. With recipe in hand, it was time to christen them. It actually turned out to be a very easy, refreshing dessert, and a great way to use delicious late summer flavors - like super sweet melons. 


I started by cubing half of a very ripe honeydew melon and pureeing it in a food processor. I then added some lime juice to help bring out the flavor of the melon. Finally, a little honey, though we didn't need very much additional sweetness because the melon was already like candy. The mixture is then strained through a fine colander to remove any un-pureed pieces. 


You can call it done here and pour the mixture into the mold if you want. I wanted the popsicles to taste a little more like ice cream though, so I mixed some Greek Yogurt and 1/2 and 1/2 into the mixture. The recipe made a little too much popsicle liquid for my molds, so I poured the rest into ice cube trays. You could put little popsicle sticks right into the ice cube trays if you didn't have molds, or maybe even use it to flavor water or perhaps a nice vodka soda if you omit the milk. 



After that, you just need to find room in your freeze and let everything chill out.

There you have it - a blender-less, but still wonderful dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment