Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Day -- Bottoms up

This may come as a shock to most, but I’m not a huge fan of Valentine’s Day. I’m not one to arrange dead roses for exes, wear all black, and send cards out to people that say “love is for losers” or “Destiny: You were meant for me (perhaps as a punishment)”. I’m also not the kind of person to wear little cupid pins or make some romantic scavenger hunt to declare my love.

I do think it’s a great holiday to bake one of my favorite things – sugar cookies. The recipe is here, and I have to say, it’s a great one. Very easy to make, the dough rolls out easily, and tastes like my grandma’s. But then I got to thinking; these cookies are a little boring.










What if…
 Now we’re cooking with gas!


 












The first few attempts didn’t turn out the best.


But after a little practice I was on a roll.


 







 ----> My favorite is Granny Panties


























Baking the cookies turned out to be a feat. Because the oven is so small, I could only fit in 5 cookies at a time. That’s about 10 batches of cookies. Those of you who have regular ovens should have no problem getting this done in a reasonable amount of time.  

The oven also cooks at whatever temperature it feels like that day, which makes it a guessing game of how long to leave the cookies in without getting burnt. The first few batches came out “Latino”. Robbie ate most of those before they got frosted.

Icing was the hardest part. All of the colors needed to be made in individual batches, so they were all a slightly different consistency. I got a little lazy after about hour 3 of this process, so I might not have measured as accurately. This lead to some being runnier than others – i.e. difficult decorating! Also, because of my budget, I used gallon-sized plastic bags as icing bags. After loading the icing into the corner of the bag, I cut a fine tip. Even so, there was an issue controlling the amount of icing that came out – thus, ‘granny panties.’

With the challenges of the icing, and without a Victoria’s Secret catalog, inspiration was exhausted pretty quickly. I moved into my “hippie period” which consisted of just swirling the colors together to make psychedelic patterns. But I’m sure these panties exist somewhere in the post-Woodstock world

After about hour 5 I just drew hearts on cookies and called it a day.

Robbie thinks I should end this post with some kind of raunchy joke, but I’m just going to conclude it with a Happy V-day, hope it’s as delicious as mine :)


4 comments:

  1. i can testify that these were DElish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are disappearing at a rate of 4 for each glass of milk that I compulsively pour.

    Sorry Mista

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nevermind, apparently we have some at our apartment... Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete